Will You Retouch My Photos?
- I accept a wide variety of projects, both big and small. Whatever the scope of your project, I'm always happy to take a look at it.
- I'm happy to work with people outside the photo industry! That said, respecting copyright is important to me. If you are not the original photographer, I do need to have the photographer's permission to retouch the photos.
How do we get started?
- Simply e-mail me your photos with a brief description of what you'd like done to them. If you're looking to discuss multiple projects or ongoing work, send me some samples if possible.
- I can receive photos via any standard file delivery service. (WeTransfer, Dropbox, etc.)
- My turnaround time can vary based on my current workload. I always do my best to accommodate all deadlines, but the earlier you get in touch about your project, the better.
What are your rates?
- Due to the highly variable nature of retouching projects, I can only quote projects once I have seen the photos. I work on projects where I can retouch 10+ photos in an hour, but I also do projects where I'll spend half a day on a single photo. There's no way to know until I evaluate your photos' individual needs.
- In general, you can expect large batches of pre-processed photos needing minimal corrections (light blemish and stray hair removal) to be less expensive. Large format photos, photos that need intensive or complicated corrections, photos intended for high end advertising or publication, etc. will be more expensive.
- I work with all image formats; your preference.
- I will deliver images in the same format I receive them unless otherwise specified, with the exception of RAWs which I deliver by default as TIFFs.
- I typically work in Adobe RGB (1998) unless something else is requested
- I deliver 8-bit files unless 16-bit is requested. However, when possible, my working files that I maintain on my own computer are 16-bit. So, you can usually request it after the fact, even if you didn't request it initially.
- By default, I deliver all files flattened. I do not deliver my full working files. (They are very large with a whole lot of layers). If you are going to need layered TIFFs for any reason, or a particular layer type on the final file (such as grain or sharpening), please let me know as early as possible.
- I do request the ability to use final images in my portfolio and social media. If, for some reason, photos can't be used for privacy, publicity, or contractual reasons, just let me know. (I'll usually double check with you.) I don't post "before" versions without explicit client permission. I rarely post them at all.
- Payment: I accept checks (via USPS), PayPal, and direct bank transfer. At the moment, I do not accept any other payment methods.
- One of my trademarks is that I do not make models skinnier in retouching with very few exceptions. I do modify body proportions based on camera angle, lens distortion, or clothing fit problems, but I do not believe in retouching models to be thinner just for the sake of upholding the ideal of smaller body types. For more information, please see this blog series, particular parts 2 and 3: Making People Skinnier in Photoshop